Sunday, August 14, 2011

Respite - Part 12




“Come with me, I wanna show you something,” said Marcus Landrey, a long ribbon of supple energy seeped from his head and lingered weightlessly in the air. The strand grew brighter and floated towards Lieutenant John Harrow.

The lights from the barge created small pools of illumination around the craft. When Landrey walked into the radius of light, Harrow needed a few seconds before he knew it was young sergeant. Landrey looked almost nothing like the Ground Command trooper he had met a few days ago. There were still some discernible traits that Harrow recognized, his eyes, his voice and certain mannerisms were still there, but beyond that, the being that stood before him was a pale bluish alien he had never seen before. An alien that had a glowing beam coming at him.

“What the hell is that? Stay back!” Harrow took a step backwards, his weapon raised and trained on the the glowing tendril. The energy ribbon hesitated as if observing the rifle pointed at it. “I'm not going anywhere Marcus,” said Harrow, his voice betrayed his look of calm. “Not until you tell me what's going on here. I mean, have you seen yourself? Is this from the sting? Are the others infected too? What's this thing coming out of your head?”

“Oh god, enough with the jabbering John, really.”

“That's easy for you to say.”

“Actually, it isn't,” Landrey cracked a smile. “Something is happening to me, to the second landing party, but right now, it's still me! Put down that rifle, or at least lower it.”

“Keep that energy thing out of my face, and I will.”

“I'm still not very used to it yet, but gimme a sec,” Landrey said closing his eyes. He furrowed his brows and bit on his lower lip. It took a few moments but the energy ribbon slowly flowed back into the slit on his forehead.

Harrow lowered his weapon but kept his distance. “What is that thing?”

“I can't really explain it but it's like an extra sense, and it's just there, like sight and smell. With it I can feel you, perceive you more clearly and not just on the outside, but... Sorry, that's the best that I can explain for now.”

Landrey took a step forward, he tried to be as nonthreatening as he could. He kept his arms open and  looked squarely at Harrow, he needed the lieutenant to know that he was being truthful. "Look, I'm not sure I understand completely what's happening, but it seems that this planet, this environment has chosen us to be part of it. I've been getting flashbacks, but not my own memories, They're from the people that used to live here. Somehow, this planet lost all its civilization, a people that had a flourishing culture, and advanced too. Now, and this is going to sound crazy, I think this planet wants to repopulate the people, and the pods that stung us, has started the process."

“So they are trying to take over your body?” asked Harrow.

“I can't really explain it, but aside from the physical and biological changes, and that glowing thing you saw, I still feel like, well, like me.”

“Let's try and get you back on Starlight and we'll find a way to reverse all this.”

“I don't think I want to.”

“What?”

“For the first time, I feel like I'm home, like I belong here. I don't know if that makes any sense at all.”

“It's just the infection talking.”

“I don't know, maybe, but even before all this happened, I've always wanted to stop, to just stop and have a place where I can feel... safe, at home, somewhere I belong...”

“Look, I know that since coming onboard, things have been kinda crazy, but everyone on Starlight feel the same way, we're all looking for a new home,” Harrow said. “We are all looking for a sanctuary, a place for respite, and -.”

“And I think I have found it,” Landrey sighed and cocked his head. “It's very peaceful here,” he whispered the last few words.

Harrow wondered if the rest of the infected crewmates felt the same way. And if they did, were they going to be allowed to stay here and restart life on this desolate planet. He was deep in thought when he felt Landrey's hand on his shoulder.

“You know John, when you're not babbling, you're kinda cute.”

...

“You walk in here with a busted lip and bruises and you're not going to talk to me?” Lieutenant Carter Colfax was annoyed, he was concerned when Private Nick Nelson walked into their quarters looking beaten up, but that feeling was quickly replaced with annoyance Nelson avoided his questions.

“I have to submit a working plan in less than an hour Carter, just let me work, I'll tell you later.”

“At least go get a shower,” Colfax said exasperated.

“In a while. Shit, fuck! I left my pad back in the fucking barracks!”

“Second drawer, I have a projection pad.”

Nick didn't say anything, he just rummaged through the drawer and retrieved the pad. He turned it on and studied it.

“Good, I think I can work this,” a slight smile came over his battered face instantly followed by a wince. Nick plonked himself into a chair and started to program the pad and worked on the holoscreens projected from the slim device.

“Baby we're gonna need to talk about this. I mean, you can't just -”

“Baby?” Nick looked away from the screens for the first time. He squinted and regarded Carter for a while. “We're giving each other nicknames now?”

Carter just stood there with a grin on his face and blushed.

Nick turned his attention back on the tactical plan for Stone. Carter turned to leave the room when he heard Nick again.

“Don't kid yourself mister, you're so gonna get some when I came back from my meeting.”

Even without looking, Nick knew that Carter was smiling.

4 comments:

michaelxvr said...

welcome back! we've missed you and already Respite off to a super read (again!)! :)

GableDan87 said...

Amazing comeback. Can't wait to find out all of what has changed with the infected crewmembers, and I seriously have to say that Landrey makes a hott alien.

And again I love Carter and Nick together. They seem to fit so well, and I can't wait to see how that relationship develops.

kit said...

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Glad you like the post! Ya I think Carter and Nick make such a great couple too. Let's find out together what's gonna happen next!

Anonymous said...

Agree fantastic comeback ! Love how the story has evolved:) a new adapted species...brill!