Saturday, December 24, 2011

Starlight: a new look


Here are some initial concept designs for the new uniform and the treatment of the pictures. 
I decided that the short sleeves didn't really work so I extended them. I kept the lines in and then added more to give the uniforms more details.



I also experimented with lighting and how to make the uniforms really glow. You can see from these initial pictures that it didn't always work out. The red/maroon uniform for the ensigns came up by accident. When that worked, I thought it would be nice to add some color to the uniform code, so there are variations of sleepwear and workout clothes that you will see later on.

I wanted to keep the green for the Ground Command troopers and the black lines didn't really work here. So I tried softer white lines that, when added to the uniform in Photoshop, turned it a lighter shade of green.

Also, you may have noticed, I've removed the yellow scarab from the uniform and changed it into a design insignia that is on the uniform itself. It's hell to do because you have to account for the position of the body and the pose, but I kinda liked it.


 All these pictures aren't really what I would call perfect, yet. Rather, they helped me to figure some stuff out and allowed me to play with the lighting, the mood and feel of the pictures to come.


Let me know what you think!


Have a great Christmas Eve everyone!
Tomorrow, some more pictures.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful new look, buddy. I am so impressed by your artwork. I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Cheers, AOM

kit said...

Thanks AOM! Means a lot to me that you like it. Here's to a better year ahead.

ouilletgilbert01@videotron.ca said...

Hello Kitcai.

I have often Srarlight to check for the new. I just saw the new desing for the costumes of your personages. I find that adding the lines you draw and the new patch adds enormously to the hérotisme of your boys I think the green is well suited for the uniform. is it possible to change the color of these lines and the shield for each rank of this armed. Example: young recruits might have them in blue, like lines and the crest of the various heads could be gold, red, or flesh colored, for enlisted men. This would help to recognize who is who and distinguish its officers and enlisted men who are in love relationship. Visual recognition would then be complete.
This is a sugestion! Anyway, if ever, again you writing a continuation of this adventure that was so captivating, I would probably the first of your readers.